Friday, March 18, 2011

How We Got Here - Part 1: "Meeting" my Boys

Welcome, friends -

The purpose of this blog is to document my relationship with two very special boys who live in Guatemala.  I will try to give a summary of the journey that led me to become their "Madrina", and continue to update about our on-going relationship / contact.  My hope is that they will always know that they are loved by their Madrina.

Most people who read this will already know me, but just in case, let me introduce myself.  Hi, my name is Krystal.  I have been married to my dear husband, Michael, for 13+ years.  We were young, poor, and happy when we met and married.  Now we are not-so-young, not-as-poor, and still happy.  We have been blessed with 2 darling children.  Brayden Mynor Elias was born in Guatemala in August 2005, and he joined us at home in February 2006.  Parker Gabrielle is our biological child and was born in March 2007.

Shortly after Parker was born, we began gathering our paperwork and talking to various adoption agencies.  For several reasons, Michael and I felt that we wanted to adopt a waiting, older child.  In May 2007, we signed an agreement with an agency that worked with hogars (orphanages) in Guatemala and had an active list of children who were waiting for families.  We originally ask to be matched with one child, age 0-7, with or without special needs.
  
On June 15, 2007, I received a call from the agency contact asking me if we would be interested in adopting a little boy named Elviz who was almost 3.  When she emailed pictures later, there they were -- Gerson and Elviz -- together. 

I asked the agency contact about Gerson, and she told me that he was Elviz's older brother and that he had already been matched with another family.  The boys had come to the hogar together in February, but after several months with no family willing to adopt them both, they had referred them separately.  We were heartbroken to think of these brothers being separated, so we asked the agency to check again with the other family to see if they would possibly want to adopt Elviz.  When they said that they could not, we told the agency that yes, of course, we wanted to adopt him.  We joyfully announced our newest family member to everyone that we knew :)

On June 28, 2007, I received a call from the agency contact while I was at work.  I can remember the conversation almost exactly. . . she said, "Krystal, the situation has changed.  The other family has decided that they do not want to adopt Gerson."  I burst into tears (that happens a lot with me), and interrupted her to say, "We want him!  We want him!"  She laughed and asked if I wanted to call my husband and talk this through . . . I told her that I already knew the answer!  Of course, we want him!  We very, very joyfully announced our TWO newest family members to everyone that we knew :)

No comments:

Post a Comment