Thursday, March 24, 2011

How We Got Here - Part 6: Now a Madrina

After the hearing ended, it took me a couple of minutes to catch my breath and gather myself.  Then I got up and walked out to the family.  We all had to wait for the court documents to be typed up for signatures and such, so I knew that I would have a little opportunity to talk with them.  Thankfully, most of the not-so-delighted-to-see-me demeanor was gone.  Now they were welcoming me to spend a few minutes with the boys.  I am not so naive as to not understand why, but I am grateful for it anyway.

We talked for a little with a translator, and then for a little while (very roughly) without one.  We watched the boys go through the backpacks that I had given them.  I asked them for a picture together, and the grandmother and mother agreed (the aunt was still was not too delighted with me). 

They asked about going to lunch.  I had gone to the hearing with the attorney, and I knew that she needed to get to another appointment, so I asked them if we could possibly meet sometime the next day.  They agreed and said to call them later that afternoon to work out the details.  At some point (after we had "made friends" and after we had agreed to meet the next day), I gave the grandmother all of the money that I had with me.  I know, I know, how very American of me!  But I felt like I had to do something.  I mean, they were taking *MY* precious babies home with them that night, and my guess would be that they were not prepared. 

Because we kept thinking that we were leaving but then having to wait for something else, I ended up saying goodbye to the boys 3 or 4 different times.  It definitely helped to have hope that I would be seeing them again the next day, but I can't describe how hard it was to let them go at the end of each hug.  I separated myself at one point when there was some drama with the kids running into the street, so when we actually did leave I had to walk past them all again on the way out the door.  I stopped to kiss and hug the boys once more, and as I was hugging Gerson, dear little Elviz grabbed my arm and put a bracelet on.  It was very sweet.  He put it on, tied it so carefully, and then looked up at me with those smiling Elviz eyes -- oh, what a gift! 

My trusty friend, V, called and arranged for the meeting the next day.  He picked up Gerson, Elviz, their grandmother, their mother, and their brother at their home and brought them to visit with me at the hotel.  We sat by the pool and had lunch.  The 3 boys played and had fun.  It was great to have V there with us to translate the whole time, so we got to talk a lot.  I will really try to temper my tone here and leave my judgements off of this blog, so I will just say that the conversation was *interesting*. . . it is clear that this relationship will be a complicated one.  At some point in our conversation, they asked me if it was OK for the boys to call me "Madrina" (which is like godmother), because they knew that the boys would want to talk about me and they wanted them to have a name to call me (other than Mami).  I said yes, that it would be an honor, and thanked them.  So, that is how I officially became Madrina.

We talked about school for the boys.  They said that they were going the next morning to get the transfer papers and to register Gerson and Elviz at the school that is closest to their home.  I made it clear that I will support G&E's education completely.  By the end of the visit, we had agreed that once the registration was done that they would call us.  V would take them shopping and get the uniforms, shoes, supplies, and anything else that the boys needed for school.

Of course I asked for another picture. . . I love pictures.
With their brother
 My silly, silly boys :)  You can see the bracelet that Elviz gave me in this one.

When it was time for them to leave, I asked if it was OK for me to ride with them.  I needed to go to that area to stop by the hogar to tell them thanks for taking care of Gerson and Elviz, and I didn't want V to have to drive back and forth all day long.  They agreed.  They did not talk much on the ride.  V & I chatted in the front, and the kids played in the back.  They asked us to drop them off at a market area, so we pulled over.  It was a busy street, so I couldn't really get out.  We all said a short goodbye, and I kissed the boys as they climbed out of the van. . . then I watched them walk away.  I am not sure when I will be able to see them again in person, but they are always here in my heart.      

No comments:

Post a Comment